Monday 18 August 2008

Exploding ball and a lack of originality





So.... a few years back I came across a book with modular origami (multi part origami pieces).  The piece I am thinking of has 12 pieces (the first lamp design here is the pattern I saw). So I went and played with the idea and came up with the two pieces pictured here.  I then worked out that you can inverse the individual pieces of one shape to get a second shape.  Now I was quite pleased with myself.  The larger form explodes when you hit it and is an excellent gift for stress relief.  
None of this is original however.  Looking at the guardian the other day I saw an image of a skeletal octahedron. Not only that but every concievable variation of this is out there.  This has popped my bubble. I will continue but am deeply humbled by the internet itself and the realisation that it is unlikely anything I have done has not been done better before.

No comments: