Tuesday 22 September 2009

The birth of Apollo 11





Two strange things have converged in recent months:  the anniversary of the moon landings and a new fold (to me).  

The photos I have here are the shapes I came across fidgeting one day.  The indented equilateral triangle is a very strange fold as it makes an easy shift from a flat surface through two 45' bevels to 3 perpendicular sides each at 45' to each other.  This quite simple set of folds is an appealing shape in itself. 

 When you combine 4 of these around a square you end up with an octagonal based dome.  I loved the simple architectural properties of this shape and almost instantly likened it to the top of the Apollo 11 Moon-lander.  It has unfortunately taken me 4 months to figure out how to make the rest of the craft....

No comments: