Tuesday 19 July 2011

The Wallet 1





I was thinking that I just haven't posted in a while and that might imply that I do not do origami very often. This sadly is not the case. I am posting here the contents of my origami wallet. A small plastic envelope ( kindly gifted to me by Rachel ) that contains about 100 pieces of memocube paper. I often fold something and then unfold it and flat-pack it back into this wallet. I went to find a fresh piece of paper the other day and realised there were none. So last night I emptied out the wallet, refolded the origami pieces in it and have photographed a few of them here. Due to the limited number of images I can include per post this may take a few.

Image 1 : parabola. I have worked out that not only can you make an approximate parabola by folding one edge of a sheet of paper to a central point but that this can be be used as a basis for approximating the intersection of two curved planes. That is as close as I will ever get to explaining that.

Image 2 : double inverted corner. This is similar to my ashtray design but with a second inversion of the 3 corner faces.

Image 3 : axolotl head. This is an old favorite. I made it and tried to make a body but have failed to do that well so made a series of animal heads on mounts. I just made this again to remind myself of how it is done.

Image 4 : Squid in construction. This is a partially finished squid. I cannot remember why i started this or why it isn't finished but my tube probably came into the station. I made a squid the other night for a friend, Gen. It is fun to show off.

No comments: