Friday 24 October 2008

Chess Set





So I have this image of an origami chess set made from one piece of paper.  This is a bit of a lie but it is also strangely true.  

I guess I should start with credits.  I came up with the consetina design after looking at a set of drawings from students at the Dessau school.  The Dessau art school was a major part of the Bauhaus movement in Germany pre WW2.  I was actually involved in hanging the Albers and Maholi-Nagi show at the Tate and started to see a strong origami element in the work.  Especially the work of Konrad Puschell.  
Anyway, while looking through some books I flipped past a page that looked a bit like my first picture ( I am still looking for the picture I am talking about, but no luck yet).  I am not sure if the drawing was of an origami model or not but I made it out of a single sheet of uncut paper later that day.
Then a few weeks later on a work trip in Germany I was stuck in a hotel bored and folding and I came up with the idea of making a chess set by changing around the consetina object to make each of the pieces.  This was made easier by the use of a digital camera to capture an image of each piece without me having to remake each piece.
Out of lazyness I then just photoshopped the pieces together using the negative images of the pieces to represent the opposing colour. Thus the chess set out of one piece of paper (and many photographs of it collaged together).
 I have actually changed the designs a bit since then but I have included a photoshopped image very similar to my original idea here.  I actually prefer the collaged set to the real thing which took me a year os so to get around to making. 

No comments: